In 1898 Julius Adolf Hoyer (1874-1943) joined with August Spindler (1870-1927) to
establish the optical company of Spindler & Hoyer in Göttingen. The range of products of
Spindler & Hoyer was unusually extensive, including many sorts of instruments. During
the two world wars, it was the main supplier of binoculars to the German army. This
successful optical design and manufacturing company still exists today, but with a new name - Linos AG. The name change occurred after management acquisitions of other high-quality optical makers by Spindler & Hoyer.