Paris, last quarter of 19th century.
Bancks and Son. Instrument makers and Opticians to His Majesty
119 New Bond Street, London (1820-27).
Robert Bancks (or Banks) was an instrument maker to George IV, and had also made instruments for scientists such as Robert Brown.
Established in Paris in 1818 by D.F. Bardou, then run by his son P.G. Bardou, and grandson, Albert Bardou. 'Bardou & Fils a Paris', dates
1855 & 1884. It was one of the most popular small telescopes constructor at the end of the 19th c.
Won medals at Paris Exhibition of 1855 & London Exhibition of 1862, showed opera glasses and hand held & astronomical telescopes. 1876, Bardou & Sons at Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia. Later, Bardou & Son. Prizes at the international exhibitions of 1878 and 1889. Circa
Louis Berthoud (+ 1813) was the best French clockmaker of the beginnings of the 19th c.
Bryant Biggs, Cardiff
G. Boulitte Ingénieur-constructeur, 15-12 rue Babillot, Paris
Ancienne Maison Verdin
Made mainly medical instruments circa 1910-1930
Breton Frères, Paris
23 (25) rue Dauphine, 19th c.
9 rue du Petit Bourbon, 20th c.
The French maker Brillé constructed in 1910 the famous electric pendulum Brillé which distibuted time to periphery clocks is factories, observatories etc.
Brockbank and Atkins, London
Ferdinand Philippe Edouard Carré (1824–1900) was a French engineer, born at Moislains (Somme) on 11 March 1824. Carré is best known as the inventor of refrigeration equipment used to produce ice. He died on 11 January 1900 at Pommeuse (Seine-et-Marne).
L. Casella, Instruments for Observatories, explorers, travelers, Army and Navy.
Maker to the admiralty
Central Scientific Company was founded in 1900 in downtown Chicago. It was formed out of what was left of the Olmstad Scientific Company.
Central Scientific manufactured and distributed science teaching equipment for schools, colleges, and universities by catalog mail order. The trademark "CENCO" was used from 1909 onwards.
The company Chasselon is from the precision instruments workshops Brunner Frères. The Brunner house was created in the 1830s by his father, Jean Brunner, and later renamed "Brunner Frères" from 1862 by his two sons Emile (1834-1895) and Léon (1840-1894). As early as 1889, the two brothers, eager to retire, solicited Chasselon, whose father had worked in their studio, to continue the manufacturing of instruments for surveying and surveying. After the death of Léon and then Emile, Chasselon officially took over the company in 1895 and moved to number 20 rue Ducouëdic in Paris.