Established in Paris in 1818 by D.F. Bardou, then run by his son P.G. Bardou, and grandson, Albert Bardou. 'Bardou & Fils a Paris', dates
1855 & 1884. It was one of the most popular small telescopes constructor at the end of the 19th c.
Won medals at Paris Exhibition of 1855 & London Exhibition of 1862, showed opera glasses and hand held & astronomical telescopes. 1876, Bardou & Sons at Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia. Later, Bardou & Son. Prizes at the international exhibitions of 1878 and 1889. Circa
1880s, U.S. importer J.W. Queen & Co. 1895, J. Vial became owner / manager. Catalog J. Vial, 55 Rue Caulaincourt, Paris, up to 6 inch, pier
mounted telescopes, weight drives. George F. Chambers, Handbook of Descriptive and Practical Astronomy, 1890, illustrations of Bardou observatory telescopes, including twin photographic / visual equatorial. 1911 Bardou catalog, 4 1/4-inch telescopes & smaller.
Probably the most prolific small telescope maker circa the turn of the century. Bardou lenses used in some telescopes signed by Queen, McAllister, Pike, Sussfield Lorsch, and others.