Clemens Riefler, Nesselwang
T. Cooke & Sons, York & London (and later "and Cape Town")
T. Cooke was born in 1807 in Allerthope, Yorkshire. He was born to a poor family and, having first to overcome many difficulties, managed to study mathematics and optics. At the age of 22 he manufactured his first achromatic lens. This success led him to establish a small optics firm in York. His meticulous, high-quality work made him a famous telescope maker. After his death in 1868 the firm was continued by his sons.
David White Company, Wisconsin
Dirk Barend Kagenaar (1842-1924) started his career as an amanuensis (technical assistant) at the Physiology Laboratory of Utrecht University. His tutor was Professor Harting. When he was no longer an apprentice, he worked together with Professor F.C. Donders. The two designed and made several different instruments. In 1860 he started a factory and store, where he sold not only instruments made in his own factory, but also several instruments produced in foreign factories. The company made and sold physiological, ophthalmological, physical and medical instruments.
Dobbie McInnes Glasgow, Liverpool and South Shields,
Makers to the Admiralty
The firm appears as:
Dobbie McInnes Ltd, from 1903 until 1921, and then again from 1937 until the late 1950s.
Dobbie McInnes & Clyde Ltd, from 1921 until 1937.
Duboscq was Soleil's successor.
Eugene Ducretet (1844 -1915) was a scientific instrument maker, opening his first shop in 1864. He made galvanometers, Whimshurst machines, Tesla apparatus, Crookes tubes, etc. Ducretet also made telegraph instruments including keys and Morse registers. The Ducretet name is associated with the early development of wireless in France; he was an early experimenter and maker of wireless apparatus. Descriptions of his experimental Ducretet and Roger oil break spark keytransmitters and receivers are shown in Electrical World and Engineer in 1899.
E. Leybold's Nachfolger, Köln or Berlin.
Eli Schmidt and Otto Ladendorff renamed Leybold company "E. Leybold's Nachfolger" once they purchased it from Leybold in 1870.
Édouard Bouty, Paris
H. W. Egli, Zurich
The Eppley laboratory, Newport, USA
The Factory of Ministry of Education (Εργοστάσιο Εποπτικών Οργάνων Υπουργείου Παιδείας) was founded in 1950 and it worked until 1990. The period 1950-1955 the factory operates at the ground floor of the precinct of German Archaeological Institute. In 1955 it moved to Palamidou Street in Psirri, where were the old presses of Vradini newspaper. Finally, in 1968 it moved to a group of buildings at Florinis Street in Moshato.
A descriptive and detailed text about the facory can be found (in Greek only) at:
Appareils pour la mesure du temps, fabrique d'appareils électriques
Favarger succeeded the clock maker Matthias Hipp in 1889 and founded Favag firm.