The Founding Committee of Athens College, which became its Board of Directors, was organized in May 1924. Its members were Epaminondas Charilaos, President of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Bert Hodge Hill, Director of the American School of Classical Studies, Stephanos Delta, retired businessman and treasurer of the Refugee Settlement Commission, Stavros Papadakis, Y.M.C.A. secretary, Emmanuel Benakis, retired businessman, former Minister and former Mayor of Athens, Petros Calligas, former Minister, Harold Jacquith, Director of the Near East Relief, Nicolas Kyriakides, shipowner.
The Great School of the Nation (Μεγάλη του Γένους Σχολή in Greek) known also as Phanar Greek Orthodox College is of exceptional significance, especially for the Greeks of Constantinople. Founded to serve as the Patriarchal School in 1454 by the Patriarch Gennadius Scholarios (its first principal was M. Kamariotis). It has operated continuously to this day, except for a small interval in 1821.
Το Μουσείο Ιστορίας του Πανεπιστημίου Αθηνών στεγάζεται στο κτήριο που είναι γνωστό ως «Οικία Κλεάνθους» ή «Παληό Πανεπιστήμιo». Το 1831, το κτήριο αγόρασαν οι Σταμάτιος Κλεάνθης και Εδουάρδος Σάουμπερτ οι οποίοι ανέλαβαν πρώτοι τον πολεοδομικό σχεδιασμό της πρωτεύουσας της Ελλάδας. Στον ίδιο χώρο, από το 1837 και για τέσσερα χρόνια, λειτούργησε το πρώτο Πανεπιστήμιο του ανεξάρτητου ελληνικού κράτους. Το Μουσείο εγκαινιάστηκε το 1987 επί πρυτανείας Μιχάλη Σταθόπουλου.
The University of Athens possesses a rich collection of scientific instruments (about 2,000 items). Efforts are made to display most of them in a Museum. Probably this Museum will function in the historical building of the Department of Chemistry, Solonos street in Athens.
Exact sciences departments of the University of Athens belonged to the Faculty of Philosophy until the founding of a Faculty of Physics and mathematics in 1904.
Kostas Aggelakis collection (Herakleion, Crete) comprises books, maps and artifacts concerning navigation. Especially the collection displays 17 types of speedometers. It also comprises sextants, compasses and other instruments for navigation plotting. The instruments are dating from middle 19th century to middle 20th.century.
Kostas Aggelakis has donated to the Hellenic Archives of Scientific Instruments a Hughes sextant (c. 1938) and two speedometers.
John-Henry Hill was born in the U.S.A. in 1791. In 1821 he marries Fanny-Francis-Maria Mulligan, and together they come in Athens. In July 1831, Greece's first girls' school (Parthenagogeion) is founded in Plaka, near the Archaia Agora. In the beginning there were a few schoolgirls, but after a few years they reached the number of 500.